If you have been charged with a crime, it’s important that you provide the strongest defense possible. If a conviction may result in incarceration or a large fine, it’s imperative that you hire the best criminal defense lawyer that you can afford. Very few people qualify for the free legal services of a court-appointed lawyer, but such attorneys are typically overworked and lack the resources of an experienced criminal defense lawyer at an established law firm. You should also understand that representing yourself is not the smart choice. In fact, even a criminal defense lawyer is unlikely to represent themselves because they cannot compete with the objective insight of a hired attorney. Add to that your inexperience with the U.S. legal justice system and quite simply, self-representation spells disaster.
How can a criminal defense lawyer help me if I was charged with a crime?
- Your criminal defense lawyer can negotiate a plea bargain if the case against you has merit. This can eliminate or reduce the original charges against you and may save you from an extended prison term. Every case is different, and so the details regarding a plea agreement will vary. As your criminal defense lawyer may inform you, additional factors could affect the plea bargain process as well such as who from the prosecutor’s office has been assigned to your case.
- Your criminal defense lawyer can petition the Court for a sentencing program in place of an extended prison sentence. For example, if your criminal charge is drug related, they may suggest a sentencing program that includes time partially spent in a drug treatment facility instead of completely behind bars. Community service may be another option depending on the nature of the criminal charge against you and other factors such as your criminal record.
- Your criminal defense lawyer can fight aggressively for your right to a fair trial and represent your best interests at trial. Having an experienced and skilled legal representative can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
- Your criminal defense lawyer can ensure that your rights were not violated from the moment you were first contacted by law enforcement until the conclusion of your trial. For example, if the evidence against you is largely from an unlawful search and seizure, your lawyer can petition the Court to throw out that evidence and possibly dismiss the charge against you as a result.
- Your criminal defense lawyer can provide you with the information you need in order to make informed decisions. Making the right decisions can lead to a positive outcome in your case. Without the insight of a seasoned legal professional, you may be fighting alone in a dark room with no hope of ever seeing the light.
To learn how a criminal lawyer in Civic Center San Francisco, CA can make a difference in your case, give a law firm a call today.
Thanks to Hallinan Law Firm for their insight into criminal law and how a criminal defense lawyer can make a difference.