Car Accident Lawyer
Things can seem blurry after you have been in a car accident. One minute you are driving down the road, on your way to work, or on your way to meet friends for dinner, and suddenly your world is turned upside down. You may be experiencing serious injuries that force you to stay home from work and you may be trying to figure out how you will pay for a new car if yours was totaled. While the entire scenario can be stressful, you may know the general things to do after an accident: swap information with the other driver, seek help from a doctor, and find a lawyer if you want to file a claim. However, it is also important to remember things that you do not want to do following a car accident, too.
What You Should Avoid Doing After An Accident
Following an accident, it is important to know what steps you should and should not take. As a lawyer, like a car accident lawyer from a law firm like MartinWren, P.C. understands, what you do–and don’t do–after an accident can mean the difference in winning your personal injury claim.
- Don’t leave the scene. This could even be unintentional. You may think that you are finished with what you need at the scene of the accident and that you are free to go. However, you could be faced with criminal charges for fleeing the scene before an officer lets you. When police are there, check in with them before you head out.
- Don’t forget to call 9-1-1. You will probably need to call 9-1-1 if anyone has suffered a personal injury or if there is serious property damage. Police reports can also be very helpful when it comes to filing an accident claim.
- Don’t admit fault. This means that you should avoid saying you are “fine” and you should certainly avoid saying “I’m sorry.” For many people, this is a force of habit after something bad happens even if they are not responsible. However, the other party’s insurance could use your politeness against you when you file a claim.
- Don’t forget your insurance company. It’s true that you want to avoid speaking with the other party’s insurance company without your lawyer present. However, it is important that you remember to call your insurance company to report the accident. Failure to do so could mean your insurance company denies your claim or future coverage.
- Don’t forget your lawyer. While a car accident claim may seem minor, it is crucial that you contact a lawyer you can rely on to help you through this claim. Many people do not understand the legal battle that is ahead and how much goes into filing a claim. A lawyer can help get you through this process while you work on healing after an accident.
For more information, please reach out to a local lawyer you can rely on to help you with your accident claim.